complete benefits & perks for our AmeriCorps members
Accelerating educational equity also comes with some perks and benefits.
Saga Education provides a living stipend to all AmeriCorps members for their 10.5-month term of service (July/August-June). The stipend amount varies by city, term of service, and whether you serve in-person or remotely. All stipends are paid on a bi-weekly basis and are advertised pre-tax. All stipends are subject to state and federal income tax.
- Remote AmeriCorps members will receive a living stipend of $26,000.
- In-Person AmeriCorps members receive a living stipend of 30,000.
Those serving in-person are also eligible to receive a one-time, $500 relocation assistance allowance if relocating over 50 miles to serve. Additionally, at the end of completing their term of service, in-person AmeriCorps members will receive an end-of-year completion award of $3,000. This is prorated based on the start date. All in-person AmeriCorps members also receive compensation in the form of a paid public transit pass, as requested.
Saga Benefits & Perks:
- 4+ weeks* of Paid School Breaks & Holidays
- Up to 7 days of Non-Service Time
- 2 weeks of Pre-Service Training
- Consistent Professional & Leadership Development Trainings
- Employee Assistance Program Access, with Mental, Physical, & Financial Wellness Benefits
- Access to Saga 360 Wellness Program
- Opt-In Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Company Provided Technology
- Public Transit Pass (if serving in-person)
- Monthly Cell Phone Allowance
- Access to Saga Alumni Network
* May vary based on start date and city of service
AmeriCorps Eligible Benefits:
- Student Loan Deferment and Interest Forbearance
- Child Care Benefits Program
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) Benefits
- Department of Education’s Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program
- Access to Schools of National Service -Network for Additional Education Benefits
- Access to AmeriCorps Alumni & Employers of National Service Network
As members of the AmeriCorps program, AmeriCorps members with Saga Education are eligible to earn the Segal Education Award (valued at approximately $7,395) at the completion of their service year, which can be applied toward future or existing, qualified student loans. It can also be used to pay for other forms of education and eligible training programs. Additionally, over 100 colleges and universities nationwide augment the Segal Education Award in some way, including matching AmeriCorps members’ award amount, waiving registration fees, course credits, or service scholarships.
AmeriCorps members over 55+ years of age at the time of enrollment into their term of service are also eligible to transfer the award to a child, foster child, or grandchild!
During their service with us and as AmeriCorps members, qualified student loans are eligible for forbearance or deferment. You may also request the accrued interest be paid by the National Service Trust.
Continue reading more on this great benefit here.
Time spent serving with Saga Education as an AmeriCorps member is also eligible to apply towards the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program. Learn more here.
Saga Education promotes the Intentional development of safe spaces for all identities. We want you to show up as your authentic self. All AmeriCorps members have open access to Saga’s Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DEIB) committee, Employee Resource Groups, monthly DEIB events, and support in topics including, but not limited to, Unconcious Bias, Diversity, Sensitivity and Inclusion in the Workplace, and Inclusive Language.
AmeriCorps members receive pre-service training and continuous observation, feedback, and professional development throughout their 10.5 months of service. Training related to the education field focuses on work orientation, best-practice tutoring strategies, lesson planning, tutorial management, curriculum structures, cultural sensitivity, and how to build relationships with students and the school community. Our AmeriCorps members also grow in the following career readiness skills:
- Leadership Skills
- Feedback Implementation
- Relationship Building
- Problem Solving